Food Addicts Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who are willing to recover from the disease of food addiction.
Sharing their experience, strength, and hope with others allows them to recover from this disease One Day at a Time.
Food Addicts Anonymous is an organization that believes that Food Addiction is a biochemical disorder that occurs at a cellular level and therefore cannot be cured by willpower or by therapy alone. They feel that food addiction is not a moral or character issue. This Twelve Step program believes that food addiction can be managed by abstaining from (eliminating) addictive foods, following a program of sound nutrition (a food plan), and working the Twelve Steps of the program. After they have gone through a process of withdrawal from addictive foods many of them have experienced miraculous life-style changes.
FAA is self-supporting through their own contributions. There are no dues or fees required for membership, but only a desire to stop eating addictive foods. They are not affiliated with any diet or weight loss programs, treatment facilities or religious organizations. They neither endorse nor oppose any causes. Their primary purpose is to stay abstinent and help other food addicts to achieve abstinence.
Their website includes the following features.
- Explanations of the group - its background, principles and methods
- Meeting Finder (In Person, Telephone and Online)
- FFA Food Plan
- Organization Information
- Online Store
Food Addicts Anonymous (FAA) was founded in 1987 in West Palm Beach, Florida by a founder who calls herself "Judith C." By 2007 there were over 150 weekly meetings around the world in addition to phone and online meetings. The organization has meetings in the USA, Canada, Australia, England, Norway, Sweden and Ireland.
The Food Addicts Anonymous website has lists for the following types of meetings.
- Face-to-Face or In-person meetings for the United States as well as Australia, Canada, Costa Rica, England, Ireland, Norway, Poland Russia and Sweden
- Phone Meetings available to anyone in the world
- FAALoop Online Meeting is a 24/7 email meeting that occurs online. Each week a different topic is suggested by the leader.
- Virtual Meetings using video, usually Zoom